One of the first things you need to consider when coming to study with us is finding somewhere to live. London has no shortage of options for a range of requirements and budgets.

Please see the individual pages for more details on the types of accommodation available; Student Halls, Private-Rented and Short-Stay.

Before going flat-hunting know how much you can spend. This Student Budget Calculator is a very useful tool to help you to plan out your finances. Knowing how much money you can afford will determine which property or area is most suitable for you.

If you're unsure what you want when you arrive, or need somewhere to stay for a few weeks, Short-Stay accommodation may be the answer. This gives you flexibility at low prices, so you have the time you need to think about where you would like to live.

GCU London has some excellent links with local providers and trained advisers who can give information and support with your accommodation search; if you need any help email for more details.

Tenancy Agreements
  • Once you've decided on where you would like to live, you will need to put in an offer and sign a contract. It is important that you read through your full contract carefully; most contracts are many pages in length to cover all of the landlord's and tenant's responsibilities.
  • It is at this point where you will be asked for a number of additional charges; typically you have to pay a deposit to cover damages which is normally between four-eight weeks' rent, the first month’s rent in advance and, if you’ve arranged through them, a letting agent fee which varies but is typically between £200-£500.
  • Before you make any payments, ensure that the landlord/letting agent you’re working with is accredited with a Tenancy Deposit Scheme. It is a legal requirement for landlords to register your deposit within 30 days of it being paid. This ensures that in the case of a dispute at the end of the tenancy over damages, the deposit is protected until the dispute is resolved. Many schemes also offer dispute arbitration.
Deposit Protection Scheme

If you sign up for an AST, one of your rights is that the deposit that you pay to the householder or letting agent is placed in a Government-backed Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS).  This means that the deposit is held by an independent organisation during your tenancy who may arbitrate in any dispute.  This must be done within 14 working days of deposit payment.  For further details on schemes available and tenant rights visit Tenancy Deposit Protection.

Council Tax

Full time students living in an all student occupied house are exempt from paying council tax, an exemption letter can be requested from the Student Office if necessary.  If however you share with one or more professionals the property will be liable for council tax; please contact your local housing authority for more details on how much to pay.

TV Licence

To watch television in the UK you must have a TV Licence even if you are watching live online shows. In student halls premises have a licence for communal areas but you may need one for your room as it is private. In a private shared house you usually need only one licence to cover the whole house unless each room has it’s own facilities - check the TV Licensing website if you need a licence.

For further information, please contact us by email to

Tel: +44 203 369 3000