A: Statements of Purpose
Personal statements are an extremely important aspect of applications, and provide you with the opportunity to let GCU London know about your motivations, background and reasons for wishing to undertake this particular programme with us.
- The Statement of Purpose should be your own work, conveying your views and should not contain text copied from the GCU London or any other website.
- It should be clearly structured and well-written, but does not need to be overly long. Around one side of A4 should generally suffice.
- Your motivation for wishing to undertake this specific programme of study, at GCU London in particular, and how you have learned more about this programme.
- What interests you about your chosen programme’s content, and what makes it the most suitable one for you to undertake.
- Was there a particular factor in your choice of institution, such as the local area, the reputation of the Programme Team, placement opportunities, or similar?
- Your background, in relation to previous studies, employment or work experience, and why this programme represents an appropriate progression from what you have done before.
- Your plan upon graduation and how this programme will help you realistically achieve your goals and objectives.
- If you are an international student, you should also outline why you wish to study in the UK, rather than undertake this programme in your home country.
B: Letters of Reference
Letters of reference are useful in providing additional evidence of your ability to successfully undertake your chosen programme of study. Please upload / attach your letters of reference to your application, or alternatively your referees can submit this information directly to us at email@example.com.
- Letters of reference should be provided on company/institution headed paper and signed by the referee. Photocopies of these are fine.
- These should be sent along with your application or else sent directly to GCU London by the referee. GCU London will not contact referees directly to request these on your behalf.
- Academic references should be provided by a current or previous tutor from your most recent studies.
- Employment references should be provided by a current or previous supervisor/line manager from your most recent employment or work experience.
- Letters of Reference should not be provided by a friend or family member.
- These should outline your suitability for the programme applied for, with some evidence possibly in relation to your academic abilities, personal qualities or career aspirations.
C: Academic and Professional Certificates
Certificates shows us what you have already achieved in your previous academic study as well as any CPD during your employment.
- Evidence of completing your degree should come from your university. If you have completed your degree but not yet attended a graduation ceremony you should provide a statement of result, passing certificate or a letter from your university confirming you have successful completed your degree and details of the qualification you will be awarded at the graduation ceremony.
- Secondary school certificates should be from the examination awarding body (e.g. Cambridge, SQA, WAEC, Indian State Board Higher Secondary Education)
- Some exams, such as IELTS and TOEFL will give you your results by email or SMS, however we do require to see a copy of the final certificate.
- If you are a registered with a professional organisation which allows you to work in a specific field (e.g. Medical doctors, nurses and other health care professionals), please ensure you send a copy of your current valid registration.
D: Academic Transcripts
Academic transcripts are details of the marks you have received in each module you have studied in your undergraduate degree.
- Academic transcripts must be official copies suitable for external purposes
- Transcripts marked with wording such as “unofficial” ort “student’s copy” are not suitable
- Transcripts should not be screenshots or printed pages from a website
Passport (International Applicants Only)
Please provide a photocopy of your passport identification pages.